Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yummy



Summer's here! Which somehow makes me lazier to cook and actually avoid preparing time consuming meals altogether. (And unless your air conditioning is on full-blast, who wants to use an oven/stove in sweltering heat? Not me!) So, here are some links to my favorite summery meals that are easy to prepare and are equally delicious as nutritious.

light meals:
  • Black bean salad- A yummy salad and colorful salad that is packed healthy fats and high in protein. Perfect for bringing as a side dish to a summer BBQ or just eat for lunch with a side of blue tortilla chips.
  • Southwestern Couscous salad- Similar to the black bean salad, only, this one contains couscous which gives it a Mediterranean flair. High in protein and a great choice for eating something light. (I notice I gravitate to lighter meals when the weather is warmer.)
  • Quinoa salad- This salad is extremely satisfying. I recommend it because it's not only protein infused, it's also delicious. It tastes great on it's own and if you're not familiar with quinoa then you might want to try it with this salad. (I used red kidney and white beans when I prepared mine.)
  • Sunny Spicy Wrap- This raw vegetable wrap is really good. The recipe gives you two different ways on preparing this wrap, though I have not tried the grilled variation, I am sure it's just as delicious. You can substitute the hummus for bean dip or even guacamole. Yum!
  • Salmon With Strawberry Salsa- I actually had this salad for lunch yesterday with the leftover salmon from Sunday night's dinner. The salsa is out of this world and super easy to make. Make sure you use ripe juicy strawberries and be careful with the jalapenos. (I didn't measure my ingredients and added way too much jalapenos. My mouth was on fire and I nearly chocked. Not cool! )
  • Shrimp Tacos with Fresh Pineapple- I just recently incorporated seafood into my diet. I don't know why but I crave tacos more and more as the weather heats up. These tacos are especially tasty because they contain pineapple. If you love sweet and tangy flavors then this recipe is for you.
  • Otsu (Soba Noodle Salad) - A really really really yummy chilled Japanese-inspired salad. Even my dad who is pretty picky with healthy food liked this, in fact he loved it! You can make it with wholewheat pasta but... If you've never tried soba noodles I definitely recommend them. They're in the pasta family and made from buckwheat flour making them packed with nutrients and exotic flavor.
These are just a few different recipes to incorporate a variety of nutrients into your tummy. I hope you enjoy :) I know I did! Next time I will share my favorite desserts.
-J.adriana

No comments:

Post a Comment